A few days ago, a story circulated across migration networks and humanitarian pages a story that has since become a quiet symbol of the human cost of irregular migration. It was about a Sudanese migrant whose body was found after a boat carrying hundreds of undocumented passengers sank in the Mediterranean Sea. In his pocket, rescuers found a handwritten letter his final words before the sea claimed him.
The letter was written in haste as the vessel began to sink. Though journalists did not release the migrant’s name, they shared parts of his note online, accompanied by a haunting caption:
“A gift to the civilized world — he fled death, and the sea embraced him.”
The letter, both personal and poetic, captured the fear, love, and resignation of someone who knew his journey had come to an end. His words have since been translated and shared across social media, highlighting the tragedy that continues to unfold along one of the world’s deadliest migration routes.
The Letter Reads:
“I am sorry, Mother, because the ship sank with us and I couldn’t get there. Nor will I be able to send the money I borrowed to pay for the trip. Don’t be sad, Mother, if they don’t find my body; what good will it do you now except the costs of transportation, shipping, burial, and condolences.
I am sorry, Mother, but I had to travel like other people. Note that my dreams were not as big as others’. As you know, all my dreams were the size of a box of colon medicine for you, and the price of fixing your teeth.
I am sorry, my love, because I built you a house of illusion, a beautiful home like the ones we used to watch in the movies.
I am sorry, my brother, because I will not be able to send the fifty euros I promised to send you monthly to enjoy yourself before graduation.
I am sorry, my sister, because I will not send you the modern phone with ‘Wi-Fi’ like your well-off friend.
I am sorry, my beautiful home, because I will not hang my coat behind the door.
I am sorry, divers and search teams for the missing, for I do not know the name of the sea I drowned in.
Rest assured, asylum office, I will not be a heavy burden on you.
Thank you, sea, for welcoming us without a visa or a passport.
Thank you to the fish that will share my flesh and will not ask me about my religion or political affiliation.
Thank you to the news channels that will report the news of our death for five minutes every hour for two days.
Thank you for you will grieve for us when you hear the news.
I am not sorry that I drowned. I have rested and brought relief to others.”
The note ends there unsigned, undated, but complete in its message. It reads as both confession and testimony, the voice of a young man who understood his fate even before it arrived.
The letter was found after yet another Mediterranean tragedy involving an overcrowded boat carrying migrants from Sudan, Eritrea, and other parts of sub-Saharan Africa. According to the International Organization for Migration (IOM), thousands of people attempt this route each year, fleeing conflict, political instability, and economic hardship in search of safety and opportunity in Europe.
The journey is perilous. Smugglers often overload fragile vessels with far more passengers than they can safely carry, charging desperate migrants high fees for a chance to cross. Many do not survive. The Mediterranean remains one of the deadliest migration corridors in the world, with more than 28,000 recorded deaths and disappearances since 2014.
For many like the author of the letter, the decision to migrate irregularly is not a reckless gamble but a last resort an act of survival. With legal pathways to safety increasingly limited, thousands turn to dangerous routes managed by traffickers and smugglers.
Safe Migration and Its Urgency This tragedy underscores the critical need for safe and regular migration channels. Safe migration means ensuring that people can move legally, with dignity, and without risking their lives at sea or in the desert. It involves cooperation between countries of origin, transit, and destination to create policies that balance border management with humanitarian protection.
Efforts by organizations such as the International Organization for Migration (IOM) and United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) have introduced programs and campaigns aimed at reducing irregular migration. In West Africa, initiatives like WakaWell and Migrants as Messengers provide information about the risks of irregular migration while encouraging local opportunities for employment and education.
However, information campaigns alone cannot address the structural conditions that push people to leave. Without access to legitimate work visas, refugee resettlement programs, or humanitarian corridors, many continue to see irregular migration as the only viable option.
Promoting safe migration therefore requires both awareness and action. Governments and international agencies must strengthen partnerships to expand resettlement programs, simplify visa processes, and increase support for migrants in transit countries. At the same time, addressing the root causes such as poverty, insecurity, and lack of opportunity remains essential to reducing the pressure to migrate irregularly.
A Symbol Beyond Words The Sudanese migrant’s letter now stands as a symbol of the silent suffering that defines so many migration journeys. In his apology to his mother, his siblings, and his homeland, he carried the shared burdens of countless others people who leave not because they want to, but because staying behind feels impossible.
His words reveal the deep humanity behind migration a reminder that those who embark on such journeys are not statistics or headlines, but sons, daughters, brothers, and sisters.
The letter is more than a farewell. It is a plea for compassion, for reform, and for a world where no one has to thank the sea for offering what borders refuse.

Comments
Post a Comment